Monday, October 1, 2012

Races, Pokemon, and Markets


Update time! Thus far, life in Japan is going pretty splendidly and it seems that getting accustomed to things over here is getting easier by the day. My speaking level of Japanese is probably at the level when I last left Japan (which makes sense I suppose considering I studied abroad for two months and I`ve been here for two months). Anyway, here is a collection of anecdotes about what I`ve been up to since my last update.

Two weekends ago, I ran a 5k in one a neighboring village called Yanagida. The village, which is situated in the middle of the mountains, offered some truly spectacular scenery during the race.



After I finished the race, I was welcomed with an assortment of stalls selling food that would be quite uncommon after a race in the States. Deciding to purchase whatever seemed the most popular with the masses, I celebrated my completion of the 5k by buying a fish on a stick (much to my chagrin, it was incredibly salty, which being dehydrated after a race did not for a merry Christmas make). 




After I consumed my salty little friend, I noticed that a very long line had started in front of one of the stands, which was emanating a most pleasant aroma. The long wait turned out to be worthy endeavor as this stand sold these very delicious pastries, which I can only describe as pancakes with fillings (I purchased the sweet bean paste and custard filled ones).

so delicious!
While waiting in line for the dessert, I had a very interesting conversation with a Japanese lady who spoke English pretty well and she told me all about her experience as a medical volunteer in Mongolia. Indeed, speaking with her and listening to her adventure has really made my fervor for travel throughout East Asia burn ever stronger.

School continues to provide interesting learning experiences and amusing anecdotes as well. One interesting thing I noticed is that the world maps in Japanese classrooms all seem to place Japan and East Asia at the center of the world, rather than the Euro-centric one we often see in the west. I guess it`s to be expected though that any culture will obviously view themselves at the center of the world, but it is nevertheless interesting how that message is conveyed either intentionally or even unintentionally by maps.

Japan-centric map

Another observation I’ve made is that some things are more or less universally popular at every Japanese school I’ve been to thus far and indeed, it has been interesting how much overlap in interests there seems to be between 1st graders and 9th graders. Virtually every student loves Pokemon whether a boy, girl, 1st grader or 9th grader. (One of the most common questions I get asked at BOTH elementary and junior highs is “what is your favorite Pokemon?”). In addition, virtually every student has told me that they like the manga (Japanese comic) One Piece. Again, there is very little variation between older and younger and between boys and girls. Furthermore, boy bands and girl bands are insanely popular over here as well (The most popular of which is a group called AKB48, which has 48 members!) The popularity of these bands definitely brings me back to the 90’s and the glory days of the Backstreet Boys and the Spice Girls.

On a more amusing note, however, last Friday I was told at the last minute by one of my teachers that I would be conducting a class all by self! Adding to my shock was that she gave me a worksheet for the students to fill out and told me that after 20 minutes I was to provide another worksheet with all the answers. My first thought was that there was no way in hell that the students would put any effort into the assignment and my thoughts turned out to be quite accurate. Thus, realizing that I was fighting a losing battle, I gave up any pretentions of them actually working on the sheet and did my best to just chat and have fun with the kids in English. This led to a very amusing conversation explaining the concept of a ladies’ man to some of my students. The topic came up when one of the kids was goofing around and writing in English about how his friend “loved” a girl in the neighboring class. Remarkably, when I told the English what had transpired she really didn’t seem all too upset and indeed even told me that she thought it was a good idea so I guess it worked out in the end.

Also, at one of my elementary schools, one of my students drew a cool Samurai picture for me that now stands proudly on my fridge. (Not too bad for a fifth grader!)

Better artist than me already

Last weekend, I was invited to go out with Jillian (my fellow JET in Noto) and one of my coworkers for dinner. I had a great time ordering trying out all of the cool flavors at the all-you-can drink soda and latte bar (melon soda and strawberry lattes are excellent) and honing my Japanese skills with all of them. The next day, I went to Kanazawa for night of fun at a local club and stayed a fellow JETs place for the night. I really am in love with Kanazawa it has also the niceties and conveniences of a city without the urban blight and overcrowded feel of Tokyo.

After the night of revelry, I awakened and wandered around Kanazawa and did some exploring around my friend`s neighborhood. Much to my satisfaction, there seemed to be some sort of Sunday market going on that was selling an abundance of delicious food and cool looking lacquer ware. I personally bought some steak slathered in teriyaki sauce and some chicken tikka masala from of the stands that was selling Indian food. 


There were also various performances going on and I stopped to watch some Tahitian dancers and a hip-hop group putting on their moves. 




At this point however, the effects of a typhoon were in full swing and my umbrella turned into more use as a projectile weapon rather than a protective measure against the torrential wind and rain so I retreated back to my friends place.

Well that's all for now folks, plans for the future include pear picking in a nearby town, and going to an event called Undokai but more on that in the ne

No comments:

Post a Comment