Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Autumn in Ishikawa

So due to my iphone meeting a watery grave, I don't have as many pictures to contribute to this post. I don't have my camera on me as often as I did my beloved iphone. Thus, I'll do the best I can to describe and you, the viewer, must use the power of imagination.

Anyway, its been pretty much a roller coaster these past two weeks of events both good and bad. On the down side, I was immobily ill last weekend and didn't get a chance to do too much. (Ah the joys of working at the germ distribution center that is an elementary school.) I did, however, have to go to a mandatory team-teaching conference put on for all the JETs. Thus, exceedingly groggy and still rocking a wicked cold did I attend said conference. One of the highlights from the conference was listening to the main speaker who added quite a bit of humor to the proceedings. One amusing story was his experience going to Whitney Houston concert in Japan many years ago. Evidently, when Whitney asked the Japanese audience the traditional "How's everyone doing tonight", the whole crowd responded in unison, "I'm fine thank you and you?" (The stock phrase that we, the ALTs, teach at the beginning of every lesson).

One a brighter note, Autumn is now in full stride in the Noto as the leaves are finally starting to turn into really spectacular colors. Coupled with this firework display of nature is the arrival of my favorite holiday, Halloween! Although Halloween isn't really celebrated in Japan to the extent that is in America, many of my students are familiar with it nevertheless and love doing halloween lessons. My lessons consist of halloween bingo, making paper pumpkins (actual pumpkins would cause me to go bankrupt due to the number of students I have and how expensive pumpkins are), and doing a trick or treat game I made up where the student have to a ridiculous task (such as dancing with me in front of the whole class) in order to win the coveted prize of candy. It never ceases to amuse me when one the students picks the "do a dance with Sam-sensei" card as they will usually stand there in stunned silence and in horror at the impending task for about 20 seconds before they decide that candy is a worthy price for their dignity. (I suppose free candy sounds like a pretty good concept to anyone). For my costume, I chose to be Monkey D. Luffy from the manga/anime One Piece (which is insanely popular over here) and all of the students seem to get a good kick out of it.

Luffy!

Recently, one of my schools had several classes canceled and there were a large string of meetings held in their place. When I asked why, it turns out that one of the students had actually punched a teacher! This certainly blew the lid off of my preconceptions that all Japanese students were nice and polite. It was further revealed to me that this was such a huge deal for the school as this was the first time it happened in twenty years. Still, keeping in mind the chaos of student life in Hopkins and how well behaved the rest of my students are, I still believe that there is no comparison between American and Japanese students in terms of bad behavior. My students generally win by a longshot.

In terms of weather, it's starting to get a bit chilly at night and inside some of my schools as many Japanese buildings are somewhat notorious for their lack of insulation. Coupled with gas heating costing an arm and an ear, this predicament makes for some creative ways to beat the weather. Thus far, I`ve been wrapping up in layers at night and firing up my trusty kotatsu, which is a table that you can turn on and heat up to warm your blankets and your butt if need be. I`ve also joined a gym which has a small pool and exercise equipment, but more importantly, also has a hot tub by the pool and an onsen in the locker room. I daresay this place will become a regular haunt for me as the weather becomes steadily colder. A definite plus of this change in the weather, however, is the truly beautiful scenery Noto has to offer while the leaves are changing.


My partner in warmness the kotatsu

Leaves by my house

Gym/Onsen anti-winter fortress


In other news, I've also booked a ski trip for Hokkaido this coming February. For once, I'll actually be looking forward to that abomination of a month.

3 comments:

  1. Sam, your one piece costume is KAWAI! I'm glad fall is pretty, it is at its near end here in cold Minnesota.
    I am excited for Halloween too! I love seeing all the little kiddies. >.>
    Last but not least, I baked a homemade pumpkin pie (with a pumpkin) and am about to make an apple pie because we are drowning in apples since we went to an orchard last weekend.
    Talk to you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello!

    Have you by any chance deposited funds in the HAJET account for the HAJET Snowtour 2013? If so, you did not email us to provide us with any details - name etc. please email us at social@hajet.org ASAP!! Apologies for posting on your blog but we had no other way of contacting you!

    ReplyDelete