Thursday, January 24, 2013

The Road to Hell is paved with Chinese layovers and Touchdown in Kunming



My destination in China was Kunming, located in the southwestern province of Yunnan. Being so close to the Laos, Burmese, and Tibetan border, Yunnan is renowned for its cultural and ethnic diversity. Indeed, in some parts of the province, one hardly believes that they are in China anymore. This cultural diversity is what brought Colleen to China on a Fulbright scholarship. She is currently studying China’s ethnic minorities and how modernization and especially the tourist industry have affected their cultures and their daily lives. Thus, my experience in China was would be absent of the usual sites such as the Great Wall and the Forbidden City but would be filled with quite a cultural experience no less (China really is huge and diverse!)

My journey to China kicked off with a rather rough start after my plane from Tokyo landed in Nanjing. After waiting for several hours for my plane, which was being delayed due to bad weather, I noticed that all of the passengers sitting next to me started moving after an announcement made by the flight attendants. Thinking that my flight had finally arrived, my moment of euphoria soon turned to dread. After showing the flight attendant my ticket, he started jabbering at me in rapid Chinese (of which I know zilch) but the only word that I caught on to was “hotel!” “hotel!” I soon realized that he was trying to tell me that my flight had been canceled and that they were going to whisk me away to a hotel for the night. Thus, not knowing where I was going, and who was taking me there, I got onto the bus they kept pointing at. During the whole bus ride, which took about an hour and a half! the single thought of “oh god! oh god! what the hell is going on? where are they taking me?” played prominently in my head. The bus eventually dropped all the passengers off at a really dingy hotel with no heat (it was about 35 degrees). The pillow on my bed had a large brown stain that suspiciously resembled poo and several springs protruded from the mattress and into my back. Consequently, not too much sleep was had that night dear readers. Oh and I forgot to mention that they paired all the people traveling alone with roommates…you know that one really smelly, hairy and overall sketchy-looking guy that you pray doesn’t sit next you on the flight? Well guess who my sleeping buddy was! Thus, sleeping on a mattress digging into my back with no pillow, in a room with no heat and a guy who looks like he might shank me if I fall asleep I concluded my first night in China. The next day was thankfully much better. After taking the 5:30am bus back to the airport and fighting my way through the crowd of people who had also had canceled flights the previous night I finally boarded the plane to Kunming and was on my way! This mad scramble full of pushing shoving and yelling really hammered home that I was not in Japan anymore (contrast this scene with the woman who was too polite to push her way through the giant Buddha in Kamakura). I met Colleen at the Kunming airport and was finally liberated from the confusing prison in which I was held.

One of the first things about Kunming that I noticed as we took the taxi to Colleen’s place was how much construction and development seemed to be going on. Indeed, everywhere I looked either a new building was being built or was getting reconstructed. Colleen told me that Kunming is the main hub of the Yunnan Province and has also experienced rapid development in the recent years much like the rest of Chinese urban areas.

Kunming, similar to San Francisco is known for its perpetual spring-like weather. The days usually hover around the mid 60’s with temperatures getting a bit chillier at night. This weather conditions can be attributed Kunming’s location in the southern part of China and given that it is located higher in the mountains so is a bit cooler than other cities on that latitude.

On the first day, Colleen showed me around the city and offered a glimpse into Chinese urban life. One of our first stops was a restaurant that is famed for its dumplings (which were excellent). Our next destination was the Yuan tong Buddhist temple. This temple certainly highlighted Kunming’s cultural diversity. Although the exterior resembled a temple one might expect to see in China, the interior had a pagoda that looked like something from Southeast Asia and an altar to the Buddha that looked like a Middle Eastern influence. There was also another spectacular altar to the Buddha that had a multitude of beautiful statues and mosaics.

Yuantong Temple

Altar to the Buddha 
We also stopped at the Bird and Flower district where an assortment of birds, pets, and other assorted goods where being sold by street vendors.

Clash of Old and New China

Another highlight of Kunming was the next day when Colleen and I visited a temple formerly dedicated to Confucius. The contemporary temple was more like a park where the elderly live out the best retirement I’ve ever seen. The temple grounds were filled with older people playing music, mahjong, and Chinese chess. 


Confucian Temple, now a sort of park for the elderly

Playing a game of Chinese Chess.










No comments:

Post a Comment